44th Essex Reserve Battalion
In September 1846, while the Regiment was on duty in Ireland approval was given to recruit 1200 men to form a reserve Battalion of the 44th.
In August 1848, after recruitment and training the Reserve Battalion travelled to Malta under the command of Major H O Moore, where it joined the main battalion.
By April 1850 the Reserve Battalion was disbanded and the remaining men absorbed into the main Battalion.
1847 Lt Colonel James Oliphant Clunie
1848 Lt Colonel Augustus Halifax Ferryman
1849 Lt Colonel Edward Thorpe