East Essex or 44th Regiment of Foot 1739 to 1881
The 44th Essex Regiment was formed in 1739 as the 55th but was renumbered as the 44th in 1749.
The end of the 44th came in 1881 when it became the 1st Battalion of the newly formed Essex Regiment
The 2nd Battalion of the 44th Essex was added in 1803 and disbanded in January 1816.
|1803||List of Officers of 2nd Battalion|
|1812||Battle of Salamanca and capture of the Eagle|
|1812||Storming of Badojoz Castle|
|1814||Storming of Bergen op Zoom|
|1815||Battle of Waterloo - casualties|
|1815||Battle of Waterloo - Medals awarded|
A Reserve Battalion was in existence from 1846 to 1850.
|1846-1850||44th Essex Reserve Battalion|
44th Essex Uniform at time of commisioning
Picture from Historical Records of the Fourty Fourth by Thomas Carter in 1887