Essex Regiment Chapel
On 1 March 1925 the Garrison Church at Warley was designated as the Essex Regiment Chapel by Bishop Taylor Smith who was Chaplain General of the Forces.
The colours of the 1st and 2nd garrison Battalions and the 9th,10th and 11th Service Battalions were brought to the chapel for safe custody.
The colours of the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th battalions emblazoned with war honours were paraded to the chapel on the presence of Lord Lambourne who was the Lord Lieutenant of Essex.
Other colours taken to the chapel include the 44th Crimea colours, 44th Waterloo colours, The 56th colours that had been carried from 1826 to 1864, 3rd Special Reserve Battalion, 15th Service battalion, 4th West Essex Militia Battalion and the 5th East Essex Militia Battalion.
There are personal memorials in the chapel to
Lieutenant Francis Newton Parsons VC
Major-General F Ventris CB
Colonel Almeric G Spencer
Lieut-Colonel W G Charles CMG DSO
Brigadier-General C G Lews CMG DSO
The 22 Officers who died in the Afghan Campaign 1841-1842. This tablet was originally erected at Alverstoke Church but transferred to the chapel in 1926.
There are also memorials to men who fell at different campaigns which the Regiment participated and lost men.
The Chapel has an interesting website. To visit this website please Click here