A Brief History of Essex YeomanryThe Regiment has its roots in the Yeoman Cavalry movement during the late 1700's when gentlemen formed cavalry units as part of a defence against an invasion by the French.
By the 1820's these units had been united into one Essex Yeoman Cavalry although they were still run privately outside of the National Armed Forces.
They came to the fore when they took part in the Boer War in partnership with the Suffolk Hussars and then were included within the Nations official Territorial Forces in 1909.
In 1921 it was clear that horse cavalry would no longer be viable and the Yeomanry could chose between the modern equivalent with armoured cars or the field artillery.
A vote was taken and the Essex Yeomanry supported the change to a field artillery. The main though appears to have been the fact that horses were still required at this time for field artillery although that was of course to change very quickly.
On 1 November 1921 the Essex Yeomanry were no more and from that date were known as the 104th ( Essex Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Horse Artillery.