Southend Harriers Athletic Club was formed in 1905 with most of its members as fit young men with some from the nearby Shoeburyness Barracks.
At the declaration of war the following members were already members of the Regular army
Messrs Bruce, Bullock, Bryce, Bathgate, Bunker, Clegg, Carding, Grant, Grassock, Haverson, Heron, jackson, Jiggins, Moore, Mackenzie, Massie, Newlands, Prest, Riches, Radford, Moir, Reed, Sharpe amd Talfourd.
The below members were called up as Territorials
F J Ainsley, E H Barnes, E P Bendix, P M Booth, D C B Copeland, A Coleman, A Cooke, R C Earle, G Goby, L Hall, R A Mason, L J L Pullar, C O Read, A Warren and C W Wilson.